Any Miata may take part in the lunchtime parade laps without any supplementary safety gear beyond what is required on the road. In other words, roll bars and helmets are not required for the parade laps. The parade laps will be restricted to Miatas.
The Technical Inspection process we use is designed to assist you in the self inspection process prior to an event, and to ensure that all vehicles that enter the track have no obvious problems or safety issues. The steps are as follows:
1. Drivers will ‘self inspect’ their vehicles prior to the event. Use this form or have a full vehicle safety inspection performed by a qualified vehicle repair facility.
Drivers confirm that the ‘self inspection’ has been conducted when they sign the event waiver and turn in the tech inspection form during check-in the morning of the event.
Tech Inspection Form - to be submitted at registration.
Note: Submitting a paper copy of the form is required at registration. There will be a separate station at the event for those filling out Tech forms when they get to the track. It is highly recommended that you fill out your form prior to the event so the overall check-in process moves faster.
The purpose of the inspection is to serve as a guide to help the you verify that your Miata is in good operating condition and capable of safe operation at high speeds. This list covers the majority of the critical systems and components that should be inspected before and after your vehicle has been used at a track event. This list does not cover all components within your vehicle, so it’s ultimately your responsibility to determine that your Miata is capable of, and prepared for safe use on a track. The following list is a more detailed version of what is on the Tech Inspection Form.
Sound limits during the weekend will be 102 dB. It's almost impossible for a Miata to fail due to sound levels, but the track officials will be monitoring levels.
- 1990-05 cars in all run groups must have multi-point roll bars with fore-aft bracing such as the popular Hard Dog or Boss Frog bars. Please contact us ahead of time to confirm if you're not sure about the eligibility of your bar. Full cages are also welcome.
- 2006-13 cars in groups A and B must meet the same multi-point roll bar requirement as above.
- 2006-13 cars in groups C and D may use the factory bars behind the seats for protection. PRHT cars must run with the top up in this case.
- All body parts and panels securely mounted to vehicle.
- Mirrors in place and functional
- Doors, hood, trunk lid latches all functional.
- numbers must be at least 10" high on the sides of the car and in a contrasting color - remember, if the photographer can't read your numbers, you won't get your awesome pictures.
Tires & Wheels
- Tires in good condition – no cracks in sidewalls, no screw/nails etc.
- Adequate tread remaining.
- Remove hubcaps and/or trim rings.
- Wheels in good condition and free of cracks or fractures.
- Lug nuts tight and torqued to vehicle specifications.
- Wheels properly balanced
- All suspension components securely fastened to vehicle – sway bars, shocks, springs & spring perches, shock tower supports, etc.
- Suspension components in good repair and functioning properly.
- No cracks or other visible damage to rotors or calipers.
- At least 50% of brake pad material remaining.
- Brake fluid reservoir full.
- No signs of brake fluid leakage throughout the braking system.
- Caliper bolts tightened to factory specs.
- Rotors in good condition and not warped or cracked.
- Brake pedal actuates properly when depressed and released.
- Brakes don’t feel ‘spongy’ when actuated.
- All brake lines in good repair and free of cracks, or other damage.
Axles and CV joints
- CV joint bolts properly tightened.
- CV joints properly packed with recommended grease.
- CV joint rubber boots in good condition and free of tears.
- Vehicle properly aligned
- Power steering functioning properly.
- No power steering leaks at rack or pump.
- Power steering reservoir full.
- Power steering belt in good condition and adjusted to proper tension.
- Fuel tank in good repair – no leaks.
- Gas cap present and properly installed.
- Fuel pump operating properly.
- Fuel filter clean
- Battery properly secured
- No loose or exposed wires
- Positive battery terminal covered
- System in good working condition and free of leaks, blown gaskets, and/or worn out or clogged mufflers/catalytic converters.
- All exhaust system components properly supported with suitable hangers.
- Radiator and heater core in good operating condition and free of leaks.
- Cooling system topped off with recommended coolant.
- Cooling fans properly functioning.
Belts, Hoses & Filters
- Inspect and replace belts as needed for: A/C compressor, alternator, power steering, water pump and supercharger (if applicable)
- Ensure that all coolant hoses are in good functioning condition - upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc.
- Check fluid levels for: engine oil, engine coolant, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, power steering, transmission, differential, etc.
Seats and Seat Belts
- Factory style 3-point seat belts in good working condition.
- Seats properly bolted to floor of vehicle.
- Aftermarket competition seat belts must be properly installed if used.
- Properly mounted to steering shaft and/or steering wheel hub.
Interior Rear View Mirror
- Rear view mirror properly mounted and usable.
Clutch (if applicable)
- Verify that clutch mechanism operates properly.
- Clutch does not slip
- Verify that cameras, transponders, and other ‘In Car’ devices are securely mounted.
Other Items in the Vehicle
- Remove all loose items in passenger and trunk compartments.
- Place convertible tops in the down position and roll down all windows
- Power Retractable Hard Tops must be in the up position if the car is equipped and is using factory roll protection.
- Visually inspect the engine, check oil level as well as all fuel and water hose connections.
- Tighten all hose clamps
- Check spark plugs and spark plug wires.
- Check air filter
- Helmets must be Snell K98, SA2000, M2000, SA2005, M2005, SA2010 or M2010 rated.
- Helmets must also be free of cracks and other visible damage.
- Compressed air bottles used in paddock must be stored properly and must have proper protective valve hoods.
- Never work under your car in the paddock without jack stands!
- No speeding in the paddock!